Minnewaska Poster?

Basic category for information pertaining to Lake Minnewaska's history.
KC Solem

Minnewaska Poster?

Post by KC Solem »

I once saw a large full-color poster of Minnewaska. It was probably from the 60s. I've always wanted to purchase one but no one I have asked has seen one recently. Does anyone know of such a thing? Thanks! KC
Ken

Post by Ken »

Yes, the poster did exist. We have one or two copies, but they are very rare. Since my wife and I publish art this is an item we may make available at some time in the future... check the Historical Society section of the Items for Sale in a few months.
Sue Joiner

Post by Sue Joiner »

I would love to purchase a copy of the Minnewaska Poster if it ever is available. My sister and friends hike at Minnewaska as often as we can and have many fond hiking memories.
Sharon Saracino

Post by Sharon Saracino »

I would definitely buy one of the Minnewaska posters, if they ever are made available. It is one of my very favorite places. We hike there as often as possible and never get tired of the views and the special feel of the place. I bought one of the old hiking maps and when it is compared to the map they give out at the gate house now, you can really see how things have changed and how much has been eliminated from the map. What a shame.
Ken

Post by Ken »

This is one of my pet peeves: eliminating trails.

There is simply no rational reason for this except laziness on the part of park management. You simply cannot argue public safety (a la SWIM) or money -- the realtiy is that park personnel don't want to get out of their trucks and walk.

The next peeve is redirecting trails according to a modern "gotta get there" mentality. These straight line trails are blazed in ignorance and are goal oriented rather than experience oriented. Of course, if you don't know what was there or don't want to know, then this all becomes understandable.

It is time to do something... wow, where did those red arrows come from? Here's to the ghost of Lilly Eastman who devoted her vacations to creating the little red arrow of Minnewaska.

Ken Phillips
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

Ken,
We set-up cairns to mark the cutoff trail from yellow blaze to the crevices below the old Cliffhouse. I was specifically told by the Park Manager that he wanted those rock markers to disappear. I think the State sees the crevices as a dangerous place to explore and they're not interested in doing any unnecessary rescue work. It's really a pity. It's one of the nicest spots and so close to the main park.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks for the reply... and for the insight.

This is one of the strongest reasons for helping this site survive: we will pass on the past to the next generation.

Sure, I could have been hurt exploring this magical place -- just as I could have fallen learning to ride my bike -- but I was encouraged to learn about the real world in the real world. Yes, I fell off my bike and I may have gotton a bruise or two in the crevices... but remains an inescapable part of the experience.

What can we do? Well, Anoymous, you can e-mail me directly at kenp@crimages.com. We can all rebuild the cairns and, quite frankly, Lily Eastman's barn red markers weren't all that bad. Also, to all of you who love the mountain, look for GPS coordinates of hidden places like the crevices in upcoming guides...

Ken
Sue Joiner

Post by Sue Joiner »

I was thrilled to read the messages regarding the crevices below the Cliffhouse. We hiked to the crevices a few years ago and have noticed now that the cairns are gone and the path looks different than we remembered. Looking forward to some guidance to find our way again.
We loved that hike and were delighted to discover those wonderful crevices! (Had orginally read about them in a friends book).
Ken

Post by Ken »

We need a new section -- this message is way off target!

However, a word to all of you who seek the hidden places at Minnewaska: get a GPS and learn to use it. Then send for the hiking map.

These are two ways we can share the mountain with people of like minds -- covering a trail with brush is one thing, changing the LAT/LON is a whole different matter!

Best,

Ken
Corinne
Are you human?: 0

Post by Corinne »

Guess we should forward a copy of the Mother Earth News magazine showcasing "How to Build Roads" to the State or park rangers.

And I've advised folks that it is not "Gertude's Nose" but "Gertrude's No's", since she supposedly refused her beau.

Did the State ever get an original map of Minnewaska? I remember a huge something like 5'x 3' map with elevation curves of all the original ways and goings of the trails in the Lobby.
Ken Solem

Post by Ken Solem »

Hello. Did the poster ever get reproduced? Thanks! KC Solem
Janet

Poster

Post by Janet »

I, too, would be interested in purchasing the poster. My great great grandfather was Alfred H. Smiley (one of the twins) so it would be fun to have something from such a beautiful place.