Who on this board hung out in New Paltz in the 70's

Basic category for information pertaining to Lake Minnewaska's history.
Harold

Who on this board hung out in New Paltz in the 70's

Post by Harold »

I used to tend bar in town at Hanibals. Anybody remember the place? New paltz was a wild town back then. Those were the days.

Re: Who on this board hung out in New Paltz in the 70's

Post by Guest »

I remember Hanibals. On Friday nites they had drink till you drown specials for four bucks.
Old Girl Scout

Post by Old Girl Scout »

I didn't go to Hannibal's but I remember the name. I went to The Homestead and Saint Blaise. They were cozy and sometimes had live music. Local musicians. Pretty good, too! I remember dancing to fine versions of "Superstition", "Cold Sweat", "Soul Man", "Reeling In The Years"...

The Homestead sat catty-corner on Main Street, at what was then the only traffic light in town (no light at the Thruway, Puttcorner, Ames Plaza, or Mannheim). In front of the Homestead there was a big tree and a park bench. Now it's a Japanese restaurant. The tree and bench are gone. Eventually, all the trees that lined upper Main Street were cut down.

Another bar was The Thesis. Not a favorite. We used to call it The Feces. They occasionally hired bands. There was also a place up behind the municipal parking lot. They had bands now and then, but I went in only once.

Oh, and The North Light! Not bad. Live music, poetry performances, better food, and a fun balcony. Next to Rock and Snow.

To misquote Judy Garland: There was no place like The Homestead. Even when only a turntable supplied the music, I remember having a great time dancing to "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar".

During daytime, Manny's was an entertaining place to go, even if you weren't an art major (which I was). I'm glad it's still there. But it was another planet when Manny manned it.
Dusty Old Fart

Post by Dusty Old Fart »

Wow, I remember those places. Harold is an American Indian and dressed as one when he tended bar. It's good to know that your still around Harold.
freeneasy

Post by freeneasy »

I used to hang in New Paltz all over the place - P&G's, Homestead, Barnaby's, Thesis, Joe's East-West, and a whole bunch of places whose names I don't remember. Backstage was one, too, I think. I worked at the ski area, in the dining room at Wildmere (and the Wine Cellar), out at Awosting and doing hospitality rooms as well. Half my family worked at the ski area. New Paltz was a wild town, indeed.
cadfael21

Post by cadfael21 »

I remember Hannibals very well. It was my favorite spot to hang out of all the 37 liquor licenses in that town at the time! It was an alley between two buildings that originally they just roofed over and added a front and back wall. The insides were made of stone and since NP was a big climbing town, they used to have a rule that if you were able to freestyle the climb up the wall to the ceiling, you got free drinks all night. This was in 75-78 time frame. Some of my best years were in NP!
BlaiseHaze

Post by BlaiseHaze »

'74-'75...great local music up & down main street...the womblers, tail on dawn, gerry moore...nyc-style deli open late...little traffic, few constables...good dope...no phones! a tiny heaven on earth...✨

Post by Guest »

The Womblers! Thanks , haven't heard that name since tending bar at St. Blaise .... :wink:
moonpi

Post by moonpi »

I used to live behind St. Blaise on Church Street. There were some wild times to be had there 1974-78. Loved skinnydipping and campfires at Split Rock. Ah, youth!
chris lohness

Post by chris lohness »

went there in the 60's. great times. great girls
Blaise Haze

Post by Blaise Haze »

the st blaise was owned by a guy named ernie in '74-'75 and the band rented a house he had in tillson for a while. our pay was usually quarters collected at the door in a bucket. can we do this all over again?
Yellowbarn

Post by Yellowbarn »

Yes, on some of the great bands rooted in and around New Paltz in the 70's

The Striders (Robbie Dupree)
Foxfire
Moxie
The Womblers

All great musicians and in many ways good friends and colleagues -- I was one of them!

The good old days indeed.
2meya

Post by 2meya »

I loved the bars of New Paltz circa 1973-1977. I was a painting major. I lived on Main St and Watts so I was so close. Still, I wasn't a big drinker. My favorite routine became going to the painting studios sometime on a Saturday morning or afternoon and paint for hours. When satisfied, I would walk into town in the later evening and dance may ass off at the Homestead where the Wombelers typically played. Or I might venture to the Thesis for a night cap on a week night after painting. It was a great lifestyle.
2meya

Post by 2meya »

Loved New Paltz circa 1973-77. Great music at the bars
Les

Post by Les »

I bartended at the Thesis starting in 1978. Let’s make a movie....those times were all about fun, music, friends, and more fun. It was a good time to be in new paltz. So many great memories!