Hello from Colorado

Lake Minnewaska and surrounding areas as they are now.
playhockey56

Hello from Colorado

Postby playhockey56 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:29 am

I first visited Lake Minnewaska and the surrounding area in the mid-80's. Fell in love with the place and would return for hiking and cross-country skiing trips as often as I could. Back in those days I swam in the lake many times. I never saw the Cliff House as I think it came down in the 70's; correct? I was fortunate to have seen & been inside the other hotel (Mountain House?) and used to "explore it" when the staff was not around :)

Two years ago I visited the park; first time back in decades. I was in the region for a high school reunion. I spent a wonderful fall day hiking around the old carriage roads and paths. Brought back many memories and I left at the end of the day with moist eyes. I hope to return again sometime.

I have some old menus and things like that from possibly circa 1930 that a former staff member gave me years ago. I think I posted on this site several years ago and offered to scan them and then send to somebody on this site. I had a big computer crash and haven't been back on this site since. If someone's still interested in receiving scans of these old items let me know.

playhockey56

hello again

Postby playhockey56 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:36 am

So no one wants to respond? Guess I was too boring. However I am very happy that this web site exists! I can check it out periodically to see what's happening at one of the most beautiful, natural places on earth. I can't wait to return. It looks like my high school will be having another reunion in 08, in the fall....which is great as I can return to the Minnewaska area and hike among the colorful leaves.

My offer still stands....if anyone wants scanned images of old menus, etc. let me know and I'll get the project started.

Bye for now;
An over-the-hill hockey player and coach from Colorado!

Ridge70

Postby Ridge70 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 am

It really is a very special place....one of the reasons why I stay in this area...it really is my "church."

anyway....Why don't you go to the "contact" section under "home" and email them? I'm sure they could include your scans under the "artifacts" section of the picture gallery.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:52 am

Thanks, I will contact the webmaster. I may also take pics of the old menus and letters with my digital camera so that I can send these guys a .jpg file as well.

my "church"

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:35 am

[quote="Ridge70"]

It really is a very special place....one of the reasons why I stay in this area...it really is my "church."

Yes, I've always felt the same: The whole place is my "church".

I enjoyed reading "Ridge70's" post about visiting newly-rescued Awosting Reserve trails from Aumick Road. I explored there several times way back when it was an old Girl Scout camp, and I wasn't much older than a girl scout myself. Haven't been to that area since then. Can it really be over 30 years? Now I can go back again. And I will.

old girl scout

Re: my "church"

Postby old girl scout » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:41 am

Oops - I should've given myself a name before sending the previous message. So here it is: old girl scout

playhockey56

girl scout camp

Postby playhockey56 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:03 pm

Hello,

I wonder if the name of the girl scout camp was "Ridge-Ho". The camp I'm thinking about was leased by the Bergen County GS council (northern NJ). I can't remember if the camp was located within the Awosting Preserve. I went to camp there and then was a counselor one summer back in the late 60's and early 70's. It was so beautiful! I remember lots of hikes; the most memorable one of course was Gerdie's Nose and having to use a rope to get up to the top and back down. So much fun!

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:36 am

It's my bit of heaven too...Love the naturalististic hikes!

Joe DeFalco
Are you human?: 0

Postby Joe DeFalco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:04 pm

It truly is Gods country, Heaven for sure.

Diane from Ridge-Ho

Re: Hello from Colorado

Postby Diane from Ridge-Ho » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 am

Hey, Playhockey!

I worked at Ridge-Ho too from 1969 to 1972! Wondering who you are...Just celebrating our 40th anniversary as friends...drop me a line at deesl53@yahoo.com!!

Lynn
Are you human?: 13

Postby Lynn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:55 am

I camped at Ridge Ho as a young Girl Scout between 1960-1964, then I worked as kitchen staff 1964-1968. The fondest life memories I have. Loved the hikes especially to Gertie's Nose. It was a life changing experience.
Lynn

sendlerted@gmail.com

Postby sendlerted@gmail.com » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:57 am

Please send me scans of camp ridge-ho and any trail maps of the Palmaghutt Ravine. thanks
Ted Sendler

Sendlerted@gmail.com

Return to “Lake Minnewaska Now”