Marriage Proposal

Lake Minnewaska and surrounding areas as they are now.
mike1mc
Are you human?: 0

Marriage Proposal

Postby mike1mc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:29 am

I am new to the forum, but glad I found this site!!!

I have been hiking in the Shawangunks for many years, and when I met my girlfriend I started taking her on many day hikes at Mikkewaska and Mohonk. I would like to propose to her at one of the many overlooks that the area has to offer, but need to find the right one. I would prefer this be a quickie hike either early in the morning or late in the evening. I woul dlaso prefer a "less traveled" section of the park.

Right now it seems that somewhere along the Eagle Cliff Trail would be ideal (except I think it might be busy during the summer months). Eagle Cliff is one area of the aprk I haven't hiked so I am not famialir. I have considered Sky Top (way too many people), Gertrude's Nose, Hamilton's Point, and even some vantage points just off the Minnewaska upper parking lot surrounding the lake. Can anyone offer a good, semi-secluded spot? I of course want to make this as special as possible, without having to make it an all-day hike. Thanks in advance!!!

Mark Schaefer

Re: Marriage Proposal

Postby Mark Schaefer » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:35 pm

OK, here are a few suggestions at the Mohonk Resort and Preserve. Click on any of the thumbnail photos to see a larger image.

On the left below: Copes Lookout. At the junction of the Copes Lookout, Humpty Dumpty, and Laurel Ledge roads. A short level walk from the Mohonk Mountain House, past the tennis courts. Down a short set of steps on (and at the top of) the Cathedral Rocks trail. The path does not become rough until beyond the gazebo. It is a bit secluded from the carriage ways. There is an additional gazebo above on the Laurel Ledge Road and several more south along the Humpty Dumpty Road.
Image - Image
On the right above: Sunset Path. A very short walk from the Mohonk Mountain House which begins opposite the tennis courts and near the basketball court from the Copes Lookout Road. My photo was taken mid afternoon, but the Catskill view is best either in the morning or closer to sunset. The location is generally unknown and not very busy.

On the left below: Tallman Path. There are 2 or 3 gazebos overlooking the gardens and Mohonk Mountain House. There are additional gazebos on Huguenot Drive and below on the Bruin Path.
Image - Image
On the right above: North Lookout. On the main hiking route between Mountain Rest and the Mohonk Mountain House. It might be busy on weekends, but usually not during the week.

Some more remote locations at the north end of the Mohonk Preserve and very near the Spring Farm trailhead:
On the left below: Million Dollar Catskill View. Less than 0.25 mile from the Spring Farm parking area. Hike uphill on the Spring Farm Road. Do not bother cutting over to the hiking path. At the crest of the hill the wide open view is on the left at the top of a grassy hillside. There is no gazebo, but you will likely have the location all to yourself.
Image - Image
On the right above: Slingerland Pavilion. If you prefer a location with a gazebo, the same basic Catskill view can be had from this pavilion. To reach it continue past the Million Dollar view on the Spring Farm Road to the farm. Turn left onto "Farm Road" and within 0.1 mile you will reach this large pavilion. It may be occasionally rented out to groups. However, in all the many times I have been there, I have never encountered anyone else. It is off the beaten path of most hikers, so you will likely find it empty and would be free to use it. There are lots of seats around the edge, and an illustrated viewing tableau. I borrowed the image below from the Mohonk Preserve website. Click on the photo for additional information on the pavilion:

mike1mc

Postby mike1mc » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:31 am

Thank you very much for your extensive reply. I'm leaning towards Copes Lookout. Thanks again.

mike1mc

Postby mike1mc » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Copes Lookout was PERFECT!!! Everything went great and she said YES!!! Thank you Mark for your reccomendation.

Mark Schaefer

Postby Mark Schaefer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Good stuff. Congratulations.

Ballbag

Postby Ballbag » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:46 am

mike1mc wrote:Copes Lookout was PERFECT!!! Everything went great and she said YES!!! Thank you Mark for your reccomendation.

Did you get laid?

AddieC
Are you human?: 13

Postby AddieC » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 am

This place is really perfect for a marriage proposal!
It looks like the most romantic one I've ever seen in my entire life.
Hope everything goes well and you have already done this!

Return to “Lake Minnewaska Now”