Drawings and Markings

Lake Minnewaska and surrounding areas as they are now.
Cape Cod

Drawings and Markings

Postby Cape Cod » Wed May 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Went out to Stony Kill Falls last week and ran into someone who told me if I follow the Stony creek the opposite way back from the falls that after a mile or so on the left side or the creek I would see a drawing on a rock face of a Jaguar and a little further up a bear on another rock face. He said it would be good sized and very hard to miss. Does anyone know any more information about these "drawings" or if there would be an easier way to get to them? Also heard rumors years ago somewhere on the preserve there is something chiseled into another rock face, some kind of strange lettering??? Any information about either one of these topics I would find interesting. Thanks in advance.

Re: Drawings and Markings

Postby Guest » Wed May 22, 2013 6:55 am

I have seen a nice drawing of a bear along the old Smiley carriageway, as I was heading towards the Ellenville side of the gunks. I'd estimate it is about 1/4 to 1/3 mile NW of where the Stony kill intersects with the Smiley carriageway. Just be careful to follow the Smiley carriageway and not the new firebreak bulldozed into existence a few years back. (The Smiley carriageway is narrower).

Postby Guest » Wed May 22, 2013 6:59 am

I forgot to mention, the drawing is on a rockface along the left side of the carriageway as you are heading towards the Ellenville side of the Gunks.

zhulin
Are you human?: 13

Postby zhulin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:22 am

Thank you for sharing. Hope you will share more ideas and pictures, I wish you good luck.

Return to “Lake Minnewaska Now”