Bears

Lake Minnewaska and surrounding areas as they are now.
Kenny

Bears

Postby Kenny » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:23 pm

Are there any bears in Minnewaska? And could someone please list the other large mammals that call the Shawangunks their home.
beaver?
otter?
weasel?
ect.

bears

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:26 am

yes, there are bears in and around the park. mostly they're migratory, however, they've been known to stay around especially if there's food sources. a few years back we had one resident bear that eventually moved on after we convinced the neighbor to feed her dogs inside.

Corinne
Are you human?: 0

Postby Corinne » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:01 am

In the late '70's, the New York State Conservation people transplanted a weasel, black footed type (not to be confused with the western black-footed ferret, different family).

They cleaned out the mice population on the grounds of the stables and then moved on, we saw a couple of them. Heavy dominance against the black snakes who were there already.

A good followup would be to know if they stayed. I'm remembering "not".
Corinne

* He who tells the truth must have one foot in the stirrup." ~ Armenian Proverb

* "Yol Bolson! (May there be a road!)" ~ 13th Cent. Petcheneg

John
Are you human?: 0

Bears

Postby John » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:15 am

Yes, there are bears at Minnewaska!! At least, there is one bear. On June 10, 2003 my wife and I were hiking on the carriage road on our way back from lake Awosting, and about midway on the trail, all of a sudden a young bear darted out of the woods, ran onto the carraige road away from us (fortunately) and sped around the bend out of sight. Later on as we hiked toward Lake Minnewaska we saw bear feces, indicating that the bear had run along the road for quite a while. This bear was a cub, probably a couple of years old, maybe about a hundred pounds, and truly did shock us!!! I had been a camper at Camp Laurel on Lake Awosting in the late 1950's and just a couple of hours prior to the bear sighting had told my wife that there probably hadn't been a bear at Lake Minnewaska in a hundred years! Boy, was I wrong. My guess would be that if there is a bear cub, then there is probably an adult female somewhere in the woods. I don't know if this incident warrants issuing a "bear alert" (there were no rangers around when we returned from our hike, but we did mention the siting to a few other hikers), but it certainly proved to me that Minnewaska does have bears!

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:55 am

The reason there is no electric power up at the main rangers office right now is because a young Bear electrocuted himself (in the early Spring) on a powerline in the park and Central Hudson has yet to restore the power. The deceased Bruin was proof positive of Bears taking up residence in the park.

pbrown239

Re: Bears

Postby pbrown239 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:31 am

We saw a bear yesterday, August 10, 2013 at 5pm. It was running across the road, we were in our car leaving the upper parking lot about halfway down the hill. A mororcyclist and his passenger also saw it. The bear had an orange ear tad, between 150 and 200 lbs.

Sten

Postby Sten » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:21 pm

I was walking down Lower Awosting carriage path with a buddy and my sister yesterday (about 1030am) and we saw a young bear. It was about 50ish yards ahead of us, maybe a little more. Luckily, my sister saw it before we got any closer. We think it was a young black bear. We stopped and it scurried off into the bushes, away from Mossy Glen footpath. We headed back towards the parking lot and into MG to get around it. Later when we passed by to get back to our car (about 1pm), there was no sign of any bears.

Christinem

Postby Christinem » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:19 pm

AUG 22, 2016 a bear cub ran right infront of us across lower awosting carriage road in to the woods. :o

VLC

Postby VLC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 pm

Just today I saw a bear. We took the millbrook path that loops to Gertrude's nose. It took 3.5 hours and with about 30 minutes left in our hike we heard rustling to our right. We were moving pretty quickly so I guess we startled it. Maybe 10 feet away a baby black bear basically slid down a tree. We turned a ran back a little ways (which you aren't supposed to do! But we were startled too). We assumed the mama must be close by. The rest of the way we made sure to make more noise so they could hear us. I think I'll be investing in bear bells, bear spray and upgrading to a bigger knife. Most of the issue is simply that they can't hear you. They don't want to see you as much as you don't want to see them! There are bears, mountain lions and coyotes. Just be alert and cautious.

Steve G

Postby Steve G » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 pm

I've never seen a bear but I know the park very well and have been on all of the footpaths (Jenny's, Blueberry, Awosting Loop, Mud Pond, Milbrook, etc.) and I see bear poop everywhere. And when I was there two weeks ago, being one of the first hikers if not the first on some paths, I saw bear tracks all over the place. Some had melted and then refrozen so you saw the perfect paw print with the five digits. Some went along carriage roads for hundreds of feet; others crossed it. Most were around Lake Awosting and further back/South even though I usually see dung everywhere.

Return to “Lake Minnewaska Now”