Snakes

Lake Minnewaska and surrounding areas as they are now.
BeyondBasic

Re: are u serious>?

Postby BeyondBasic » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 pm

CRB wrote:First of u dont even know how to spell "Minnewaska"? whats with that? ist on the page!!!!! And secondly of course there are snakes here! and as for the copperhead, there arent to many of them in that area... however there are many in the hudson highlands..Timber rattlers are in the area, along with rat snakes ( probably the black ones u are talking about) or if it was in a tree then a black racer, but there are tons of species in this area... are you guys like 10 years old or something???

your correct im a ''snake man'' if i should call it that lol. and copperheads are not popular near the lake there more near the beds of the hudson river and hudson highlands, and i have ran into 2 timber rattlesnakes in minnewaska in the last 2 yrs i mean i actually went there with the goal to find them but seeing 1 a yr makes me happy.

jen

Re: Snakes

Postby jen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:29 pm

My daughters and I went walking to Lake Awosting today and saw a large rattlesnake - just across from the "ranger cabin" near the end of the lake closer to Minnewaska. Big snake! I saw the rattle & actually got a picture of it(when zoomed you can really see it) I wish I wasn't so freaked out and thought to take more/better pics of it. Looks more like a massasauga than a timber rattler, but web says they aren't his far south in new york? Email me if you want to see the picture. jenemm@live.com

Daniel

Re: Snakes

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 pm

My girlfriend and I once walked from the state park area quite far around the other side of the lake. We'd been sitting on some flat stones which were almost at the water-level of the lake. It was a hot day, and we'd been there for about an hour. As I was just about to get up I looked to my left and saw a large snake fully stretched out, warming itself on the rocks next to me. Then I saw another, and another, and another, .......... No joke. I've never seen so many snakes in one place outside of a zoo or an Indiana Jones movie. Many of them were rattlers, and I tip-toed out of that place just as carefully as I was capable.

Return to “Lake Minnewaska Now”