Swimming Holes

Lake Minnewaska and surrounding areas as they are now.
Whatever

Re: Swimming Holes

Postby Whatever » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:02 am

I went to Minnewaska two weeks ago to jump off cliffs. I didnt realize how serious they were about until I got there and saw the No Swimming Signs all over. I didnt go in but The Park Police tried to give me a ticket for Swimming there. When I told him that I hadnt gone swimming he told me he was going to give me a ticket for going off the designated area meaning the trail. If you know of the place I am speaking of it is right near the parking lot right next to the trail where you can walk down next to the lake and there is a stairway made out of stone and a wooden rail, and gravel laid down. So I have to go to court and get this all resolved because I feel like I didnt do anything wrong. Im 16 by the way.

ant1862
Are you human?: 13

Postby ant1862 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:17 pm

I agree, this state is becoming communist, the native american indians knew what they were talking about...."The mother land belongs to everyone to enjoy". WHO the heck is the state to play god and declare that the waters are "theres" and no one is allowed to go in them. That is just plain sick. It is very sad that we live in an age were politicians have the right to tell citizens of this country that we no longer have the right to place "our" bodies in a natural body of water. I'm going to do it anyway, I'm a tax paying human being citizen, not an animal on a leash.

Trippin

Postby Trippin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:00 am

Early June 2014, weekday. Two retired guys looking for clear deep water for swimming and jumping off rocks. Minnewaska has got it. We found our spot below the old (now gone) Cliff House, accessible from a trail which comes up the SE edge of the lake. Take due care climbing and swimming around the giant rocks. Also it's a very visible lake so try to keep your swimming and jumping (be absolutely sure beforehand that the water is deep enough!) within a short time frame to avoid detection. The deep pool beneath Awosting Falls is groovy too: same warnings as above.

NOTE: Anywhere in NYS Parks and Beaches, it is illegal not only to swim in "no lifeguard on duty" locations, but also to wade in streams or to play frisbee or "catch" unless posted signs allow it. This is done for your safety and because one of highest ideals of the U.S. is our right to sue someone, particularly the government, like NYS, for every imaginable injury. Hence NYS tries to protect itself, and you from using bad judgment. I found these laws (regulations) after extensive online research of NYS laws and regulations. The no swimming reg would seem to be the most enforced, as a rule, and I'd guess the no frisbee and no ball throwing rules are rarely enforced except in crowded areas.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:48 pm

When I was a kid my grandfather owned a summer home on Lyons rd just below minnawaska lake, we used to hike up in the woods to go swim and the ground floor of the hotel was still standing. In the woods between Lyons rd and the lake were crevice's with old rope ladders as a kids we thought is was great but looking back it was crazy dangerous! Not sure if they are still there, heard years ago they were filled in due to a death but honestly do not know...might be worth checking out.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:55 am

Guest wrote:In the woods between Lyons rd and the lake were crevice's with old rope ladders as a kids we thought is was great but looking back it was crazy dangerous! Not sure if they are still there, heard years ago they were filled in...

You're referring to the old Crevice Trail. If you look carefully you can find the trail-head off the yellow-blazed trail and make your way over to the crevices (which have most certainly NOT been filled in). In the crevices you can find remnants of the old ladders, but they're anything but useful today. For the most part they're not needed any way.

It's too bad the State declares this area "off limits" now, but then again, it's nice to go to a remote area of the park rather than feel likeyour'e at the mall.

Redsox22

Swimming Holes

Postby Redsox22 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:06 am

I just saw a special on TV about the top 10 swimming holes. Stony Kill Falls was one of them, only they got it wrong. The hikers start out at the place at the bottom of Stony kill Falls(where the emergency helicopter landing area is---yes there is one) and they DO hike to the bottom of the Stony Kill waterfall, but when they start hiking up to the supposed "swimming hole" they somehow end up at the bottom of the Awosting Falls--the most popular waterfall in the park where there is absolutely no swimming allowed, but there they are 4 hikers swimming and hanging out behind the falls. Has anyone else seen this? Would like to hear others comments

Return to “Lake Minnewaska Now”