MAC relief on the way...

News of Lake Minnewaska and the Lake Minnewaska History Site
Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: 13

MAC relief on the way...

Post by Admin »

I try pretty hard to make sure the website looks right for those using different version browsers. I have IE, Netscape, Opera and Mozilla on my computer, and test the look of the site whenever I make any changes as different browsers and versions all display the website differently.

What I didn't check was how the site looked with a Mac. While going over the website logs, I noticed that the majority of visitors here are Mac users (this is unusual in my experience as other sites I deal with have a very small Mac user base).

So I borrowed my sister's Powerbook. took a look at the site, and couldn't believe my eyes! It was a mess. Things didn't line up properly, some places had unreadable text, and I just about gave up trying to view the videos (finally got them working by pasting the URL into the media player).

If you're a Mac user, help is on the way. I will be working to improve the appearance of the site, and will probably convert the videos to Real (as much as I despise the way their software invades every pore of my computer).

Sam
Dave McCarthy
Are you human?: 0

Macs

Post by Dave McCarthy »

Sam-

I'm running Explorer 5.2 for Mac on OS X (10.2.3), and the site actually looks quite nice; no worse than on my office (Windows) computer. I can't download the video, though, on the Mac.

As always, great work.
Admin
Site Admin
Are you human?: 13

Post by Admin »

They're not big problems, but if you look at the menu bar at the top of the page, the width of the bar is exactly the same width as the rest of the page, but it is supposed to be in line, and on some pages (including here), you'll see it's off to the left a little bit.

If you go to the home page where the "Join mailing list" and "search" boxes are, the buttons are not aligned properly, and the text inside the buttons and the boxes are not the font and size as designed. Actually, this problem is everywhere buttons and text boxes are used on the site.

These things aren't critical of course, but they shouldn't be like that.

I'm going to start working on the videos in the next couple of days, and will probably go back to the originals and try to clean them up some before converting to Real format.

Sam
Mark
Are you human?: 0

Post by Mark »

Hi Sam,

The difference is the version of IE you're probably using with the MAC. You shouldn't notice much difference using the latest version of the browser.. but may with older versions of IE on the MAC. It may have be how people have their base font set (or their form font).. there's all kinda variables that can make it look strange. If you were to look at it in Netscape 4.x, you'd probably have problems in the same areas. Older browsers render the text boxes way too wide, and also allow for pages with scrollbars differently (kinda shifts some page content left). You could try setting a CSS value for form input, and text input, so that all CSS browsers render it the same. You'd probably have the same problem with browsers with limited CSS support though.

HTH,

Mark :)