Jenny Lane

Basic category for information pertaining to Lake Minnewaska's history.
me

Jenny Lane

Postby me » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:09 pm

hello,
i am interested if anyone has any info regarding Jenny Lane(now the start of the trail to Lake Awostning(sp). My family was one of four original homes that were there. if u have any pictures or would like to share any memories of that area i would love to see/hear them.
thx,
me

Mark
Are you human?: 0

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:56 am

Hi me,

Is Jenny Lane the road past the entrance to where Ski Minnie was? I think I remember Jenny Lane from hiking the Long Path.

You'd probably have to catch Ken for the info. He'd probably know something about the area, having grown up at the Lake.

Cheers,

Mark

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:37 pm

hi Mark,
Jenny Lane is a few 10ths of a mile from the entrance to Lake Minnewaska (going toward Kerhonkson). its a really small turn in, if you didnt know it you would definitly miss it. but as i mentioned, it is the start to the other path to Lake Awastning. (the other path we would call the sunny trail, starting inside the gates of Lake Minnewaska.)
thanks for your reply and hoping to read others :)
-me

me

Postby me » Mon May 19, 2003 11:50 am

http://newpaltz.hvnet.com/hikeclimb/minnhike.htm
i found mention of jenny lane trail under peters kill carrigeway-side trips. still wondering if anyone has explored this area.[/url]

Nff314

Re: Jenny Lane

Postby Nff314 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:44 pm

me wrote:hello,
i am interested if anyone has any info regarding Jenny Lane(now the start of the trail to Lake Awostning(sp). My family was one of four original homes that were there. if u have any pictures or would like to share any memories of that area i would love to see/hear them.
thx,
me

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:09 am

The Jenny Lane trail is beautiful, especially in the beginning of June when the Mountain Laurel blooms. I have pictures if anyone is still interested. My great grandfather and cousin were involved in a summer camp at Lake Awosting. I have some very old pictures from that era.

I fear that a forest fire last year burned this area. It may be a while before it regains it's previous beauty.

Barbie

fatjohn

Postby fatjohn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 am

Yes, I walked down Jenny Lane (NorthEast) along the Sanderskill. There are no houses, just some foundations. There is a large foundation on the left at the end of the maintained portion of the road. A driveway marker still stands. Further down the lane on the left were a collection of 3 foot tall cement pilings arranged in a 30'x20' grid with a cement pit at one end. We were scratching our heads to decide if this was a barn or some other farming structure. After this the road degrades into an overgrown, barely visible, series of stone walls.

Jenny Lane
Are you human?: 13

Postby Jenny Lane » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:55 am

Hi John
There were three houses on the left side along the road and one more behind the first at the other end of the field. Across the road from the first was a barn. Behind the barn is a stream at the bottom of a ravine. It was the best playground a kid could have had! I wonder if you can tell me if I can overnight park there and camp where my house used to be? Who could I contact about that? I would hate to wake up and find my car towed.

JohnandSue
Are you human?: 13

Postby JohnandSue » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 pm

I was a Park Ranger during the first years of the area being a State Park. We would use Jenny Lane as a Deer Check Station during hunting season. I spent many days parked in Jenny Lane waiting to regrister Deer Hunters and thier catch. The long hours would allow me to watch deer skirt around hunters, sometimes with a few feet of them. I don't remember the people in the houses, but I met some of them. According to the Park, they had a 99 year lease. Is anyone still living there? I also would park there in Jenny Lane and I would start my foot patrol from there. In the old parking lot was a large tree. If it ever gets cut down they will find several arrow points in it.
Another memory is that another Ranger (Bobby) was able to sneak up on a 4 point buck during hunting season in the field between the parking area and the road and slap its butt. Several hunters who watched, lost the bet.

Nff314

Postby Nff314 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm

[quote="Jenny Lane"]Hi John
There were three houses on the left side along the road and one more behind the first at the other end of the field. Across the road from the first was a barn. Behind the barn is a stream at the bottom of a ravine. It was the best playground a kid could have had! I wonder if you can tell me if I can overnight park there and camp where my house used to be? Who could I contact about that? I would hate to wake up and find my car towed.[/quote

Hi do you still have pictures from Jenny Lane that you can share? My name is nick and email is nff314@aol.com

TDEE

Postby TDEE » Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Camping and overnight parking are not permitted. But you are unlikely to be towed, in my opinion, and if you don't light a campfire you are unlikely to be kicked out. During hunting season it's another story. It's a fairly popular trailhead for hunters. The lot fills up most nice weekends too.

Nff314

Postby Nff314 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:12 am

Barbie wrote:The Jenny Lane trail is beautiful, especially in the beginning of June when the Mountain Laurel blooms. I have pictures if anyone is still interested. My great grandfather and cousin were involved in a summer camp at Lake Awosting. I have some very old pictures from that era.

I fear that a forest fire last year burned this area. It may be a while before it regains it's previous beauty.

Barbie

Hi Barbie. Can you post your pictures I would love to see them

Return to “Lake Minnewaska History”