Who on this board hung out in New Paltz in the 70's

Basic category for information pertaining to Lake Minnewaska's history.

Re: Who on this board hung out in New Paltz in the 70's

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:03 pm

Me too. Lived on Wurts Ave., hung out at all bars, especially Northlight ... Loved Alto sax and Ladies Night.

shakindave

Postby shakindave » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:03 pm

we used to hang out at the Thesis, P and G's, the Homestead in 1973, 74, 75. I lived in Crispell hall on Campus and the Womblers used to play at parties in the dorm. they were amazing. they did covers of Poco, The Band, as well as great originals. we were all waiting till they got famous. But alas they faded away. I would love to hear them again if anyone has recordings.

girlscout

Postby girlscout » Fri May 15, 2020 8:30 am

I remember New Paltz in the 1970s. I remember the Womblers. My then boyfriend John Runge was a talented guitarist & was with many different bands & personnel. They kept changing the names of the bands. He played at The Homestead, The Thesis, Saint Blaise, The Well (in Rosendale) The Joyous Lake (in Woodstock) to name a few.

girlscout

Postby girlscout » Fri May 15, 2020 8:59 am

John Runge & I did a lot of hiking around Minnewaska back then. John gave me some great recordings of his band performing at The Homestead. They were recorded on one of his prize possessions, a state-of-the-art 4 track "TEAC" Reel-To-Reel portable tape recorder. His other prize possession was his Gibson Les Paul. Other recordings were made at Hunter House in Hunter, NY. & Joyous Lake in Woodstock. I was there for those performances too. I was there at The Homestead dancing that night. early to mid 70s. After some yrs those tapes were transferred to compact tape cassettes. Eventually he transferred them to CDs.

Big Al

Postby Big Al » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:23 pm

I went to UCCC and lived in New Paltz. Played Soccer and basketball and partied at all the
hot spots. Joe's East West and a few other places. Great times. Beautiful area.

Returnee

Postby Returnee » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:36 am

Well sad to say the town is quite a different place these days. All fluff and no soul. And certainly no sign of the nightly, spirited and often joyous music we all remember about the place. Amalgamated in that predictable pseudo-hippie way. Throw in the crumbling and boarded-up "downtown" and a campus full of radicalized yet totally uncurious automatons, and what you have is a pathetic aesthetic. You can't go home again my friends.

Return to “Lake Minnewaska History”